Everyone wants the best from their medication. But how do you know if you have the ‘real’ medicine in your pills? Just one counterfeit drug could make you sick. Beware and BE AWARE for what you believe to be SAFE may not SAVE YOU at all.
The epidemic of counterfeit medicines has reached global proportions with sales of counterfeit medicines estimated at $75 billion globally in 20101. Counterfeiters seek to exploit patients’ trust to garner huge profits and supply contaminated medicines at low cost. Growing evidence indicates that counterfeit medicines are used to fund terrorist organizations and organized crimes2.
What are counterfeit medicines?3
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines counterfeit medicines as “medication which is deliberately and fraudulently mislabeled with respect to identity and/or source. Counterfeiting can apply to both branded and generic products and counterfeit products may include products with the correct ingredients or with the wrong ingredients, without active ingredients, with insufficient active ingredients or with fake packaging.”
COUNTERFEIT MEDICINES CAN AND DO KILL
- World health Organization. Growing threat from counterfeit medicines. (April 2010) Available at: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/88/4/10-020410/en/. Accessed on 20 March 2020
- Finlay, B. D. Counterfeit Drugs and National Security, Stimson, 2011.
- World Health Organization. Q&A Counterfeit Medicines (Oct 2009). Available at: https://www.who.int/medicines/services/counterfeit/faqs/QACounterfeit-October2009.pdf. Accessed on 20 March 2020.
- Pfizer global Security Handbook (2007). Counterfeit Pharmaceuticals: A Serious Threat to Patient Safety
- Counterfeit drugs kill 1 million annually: Interpol (Oct 2013). Available at: http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/counterfeit-drugs-kill-1-million-annually-interpol. Accessed on 20 March 2020.
- Astro Awani, 5 percent of medicines in Malaysia are counterfeit (Nov 2014). Available at: http://english.astroawani.com/malaysia-news/five-cent-medicines-malaysia-are-counterfeit-pfizer-48197. Accessed on 20 March 2020.